Monday, October 6, 2014

Raw Parsnip Chips

So, we finally got a dehydrator! Not a very expensive one, but a simple one to suit our needs. I have been putting off getting a dehydrator because you should have liquid in your foods! If you are eating nothing but dehydrated food, you are probably dehydrated yourself! BUT there are times when you would like a cracker to dip in your salsa or some kind of wrap or bread to hold your juicy sandwich. I have been purchasing store-bought raw crackers, wraps, and cookies, which are quite often $7 for a relatively small amount. I finally caved when my husband offered to buy us a dehydrator at a good deal and I played with it all weekend. Remember as you dehydrate foods to drink a lot of water and do not dehydrate EVERYTHING! Here is a recipe for my my first dehydrating experiment!


1 large parsnip (the bigger, the better)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 a lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon hemp milk
1 small handful of finely chopped  mixed herbs (I used parsley, dill, and sage)
pink Himalayan salt to taste

Using a mandolin, slice the parsnip into thin discs (the thinner the better). In a bowl, mix parsnip slices with remaining ingredients. Lay flat on dehydrator sheets, spacing out evenly. Dehydrate at 109 degrees for roughly 10 - 12 hours (check often for your desired chewy/ crispy preference).

No comments:

Post a Comment