Thursday, September 18, 2014

Raw Cacao Brazil Nut Balls

This past weekend I went to the farmer's market and bought a large bag of okra. I had grandiose visions of raw gumbos and pickled goodness... and then I made some recipes. When I cooked with okra, I never really thought of the fact that that it is mucilaginous. Using it raw nothing could hide this fact. My pickled okra were like slimy witch fingers. My gumbo was snot soup. I thought maybe I just needed to embrace this gooey quality and I made a raw queso dip. While this was better, it was still just not good. My poor husband the human guinea pig asked, "How much okra did you buy?" So we are officially done with okra, and because I honor and respect all of my blog readers I am NOT recording those recipes. In fact if I had my way I would bury them deep in an abyss where even the earth worms would not be subject to their slime...

Once you've had some failed experiments nothing satisfies better than a classic. And these little dessert balls were the reward for battling through the muck. Go make some and reward yourself for whatever muck you have gone through today!


1 cup of brazil nuts
1 cup of raisins
1/2 cup of carob powder
1 date, pitted
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon honey or agave
1 teaspoon hemp milk
dash of salt
cacao nibs to cover

Mix all items, except for cacao nibs, in a food processor till you have a gooey, thick brownie consistency. If the mixture is too wet add more dry ingredients (brazil nuts and carob powder). If the mixture is too dry add more wet ingredients (raisins and hemp milk). Roll mixture into ball shapes. On a plate or cutting board sprinkle cacao nibs and roll balls on surface to cover. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment