Friday, July 25, 2014

5 Pleasantly Surprising Benefits of Eating More Raw Foods

There are a million websites out there that will tell you the health benefits of eating more raw foods, so I won't repeat those. I just wanted to give you five more practical benefits that I have found to be added bonuses.

1. No worrying while you are out that you have burned the house down. If you have a full time job, a child, a pet, hobbies, an online business, and social obligations, it is easy to get distracted. I have found myself halfway to work and wondering, "Did I turn the stove off?" Well, if you have made an all raw lunch for yourself, you know you never turned it on in the first place! Problem solved.

2. No struggling to get the food on the table while it is still hot. My husband worked a 12 hour surprise shift yesterday. I felt sorry for him having such a long day and wanted something nice to be on the table for him when he got home. If it was cooked, I would have been struggling to time things correctly or else figuring the best way to keep things warm (microwaves are major bummers). Luckily, I had prepared a raw dinner, so the food was pretty much the same by the time he got to it.

3. No scrubbing crust off of pans. My least favorite part of doing the dishes is scrubbing pots and pans. Well, that one goes out the window with a raw diet!

4. The colors. Cooked food has a tendency to go into the brown and neutral tones, if you aren't careful. There is nothing sadder to me than brown green beans... they are supposed to be GREEN, people! With raw food the colors are what they should be- brilliant and beautiful.

5. Being creative. I love trying to figure out how to make something out of what I have. Limitations can breed innovation. Yesterday I found a three ingredient recipe for raw salted caramel that was nothing short of genius... dates, tahini, and coarse salt to top. Bam! Salted caramel. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment