Thursday, April 23, 2015

Raw Easy Green Latte

I used to use coffee as a reward. At work it would be a treat on a boring day. On the weekends it would be a pick-me-up while I got the shopping done. Between avoid caffeine, dairy, soy, and chemical additives, coffee is no longer in my diet. But this new reward fills my cravings in the exact same way!

I used homemade nut milk, but you can use store-bought if you are strapped for time. Keep in mind store bought nut milks add a lot of different things into their milks than just nuts. You can make your own at home in about 15 minutes. All you need is 1 cup of nuts (preferably soaked) to 4 cups of water (preferably filtered). Blend, strain through a nut milk bag and store in a glass bottle. It really is that easy, and then you can use the leftover pulp for more recipes!

I have written about the different sweetener choices in previous blogs, but I also want to mention that I stumbled across a new option. There is now a mock honey which is apple-based and does not involve bees. I personally use raw honey, and feel happy with that decision morally and health-wise, but as many people have different convictions it is good to know the products that are available on the market (or in the market!)

I love this drink because it is so delicious, but it has so many health benefits too. Matcha has a high antioxidant content. Spirulina is high in protein and anti-inflammatory. Diatomaceous earth is a natural source of silica. And moringa, well it just has way too many health benefits for me to even want to get into right now, but among those it is listed as high in calcium and magnesium. And I swear, it fills the Starbucks void.


1 tablespoon matcha powder (the higher grade the better)
1 tablespoon sweetener (honey, agave, coconut nectar, or maple syrup)
1 teaspoon spirulina
1 teaspoon moringa
1 teaspoon diatomaceous earth
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
16 ounces nut milk (I used cashew)

Use a glass container with a lid. Combine all ingredient, adding milk last. Put on lid and shake well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment