Monday, December 8, 2014

Simple Tepache

In my teens and early twenties I used to be quite the soda drinker. I gave up soda (dropping ten pounds instantly), but still drank a lot of sugary store-bought juices. Now the only drinks we have in the house are juices we juiced ourselves, smoothies, water, tea, dandy blend, coconut water, kombucha, and today's recipe... tepache! This isn't exactly traditional tepache, which is made with piloncillo and mixed with beer, but this way is much healthier. A lot of recipes also call for cinnamon and other spices, but I enjoy it in this simple version.

I know a lot of people get terrified of fermentation, but this is one of the simplest things I make! Trust your instincts and if something smells or looks wrong, toss it and try again. That being said, a little white foam is normal. The beauty of this drink is that it is great for reusing food that would otherwise be wasted. Also, don't be worried about the sugar involved. Just like with kombucha, the sugar is for the culture.


2 quarts of water (distilled, filtered, or spring)
3/4 cup coconut sugar
rind and core from 1 pineapple (excluding green top)

Take the rind and core of your pineapple and wash thoroughly. Be sure to check bottom, as sometimes I have found this to have mold. Place rind and core in a large open-mouth jar. Add coconut sugar and fill with water. Stir. Cover with a coffee filter or cheese cloth and secure down with a rubber band, so that you have air, but are not risking dust or contaminants. Let the mixture sit on the counter for 2 days. Do a sample taste. Depending on your climate and the time of year it might need a bit more time. (I noticed it takes about a day longer in winter than it did for me in summer.) Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment