Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Raw Gobi Matar

Last night going through some old papers my husband asked if I wanted to throw away a carry-out menu for an Indian restaurant. At first I said no, knowing that on certain occasions we may eat cooked food again (special family events or weddings... maybe). Then I thought about it, and told him to toss it. I love the spices and flavors and sauces of Indian food, but if I study different Indian recipes enough I can figure out how to make a raw version that fits my craving.

I am reminding myself, as I go through this process, that the goal is not to be "untainted", perfect, or fit in a mold. The goal is to constantly improve my health, my impact, and my happiness. Last night I sang Christmas carols to my son, and my voice sounded better than it has in a long time. Better than I can remember it sounding. No cigarettes, mucus-producing dairy, or heavy oils to clog up my throat. It made me feel like I have been doing something right.

Anyway, here's the recipe for you.


1/2 head cauliflower
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
1 1/2 cups peas (frozen, run under warm water to thaw)
1/4 cup red onion
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (hydrated)
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup brazil nuts
1/4 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon garam masala
dash of cayenne pepper
dash black pepper
Celtic sea salt to taste

In a bowl soak cauliflower in lemon juice and salt for about 30 minutes until tender. Add peas to bowl. Chop red onion and add to bowl. To make the sauce, place the remainder of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add additional water if the mixture is too thick. Pour sauce over vegetables in bowl and stir until all surfaces are thoroughly covered. This dish also benefits from not being served immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment