Monday, November 24, 2014

Raw Cranberry-Pomegranate-Coconut "Cheesecake"

This weekend we had Thanksgiving Part 1, where half of my family was there a little early who can't make it for Thanksgiving Part 2. Part 1 involves more vegans, so I ditched the traditional ideas and made a big tray of fruit and raw nut cheeses, and raw pumpkin soup for my husband and I while everyone else enjoyed the cooked things. I must admit my mothers roasted vegetables smelled and looked beautiful, and I am sure they were delicious, but checking the scale at my parents house I have now lost 30 pounds, without ever going hungry. So as wonderful as my mother's cooking is, I decided to stay on my raw path! For dessert I made this cheesecake in a large spring-form pan, and it seemed to go over well! Hope it inspires someone for their holiday!


Crust

1 1/2 cups brazil nuts
1 1/3 cups raisins
4 dates, pitted
1 teaspoon nutmeg
dash of pink Himalayan salt

Filling

1/2 cup of fresh cranberries
1 pomegranate
meat from 2 young coconuts
1/4 cup coconut water
1/2 a lemon, juiced
1 1/2 cups macadamia nuts
2 tablespoon coconut butter
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 1/2 tablespoons liquid sweetener of your choice (maple syrup, honey, coconut nectar, agave)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Topping

1/3 cup of dried coconut flakes

Combine all crust ingredients in a food processor and blend into a dough-like texture.Line the bottom of your spring-form pan with a thin layer. Run the cranberries and pomegranate through a juicer. In a blender combine the juice with the remainder of the filling ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour the filling into the spring-form pan. Smooth the top with a spatula, then move the pan from side to side to make the top completely even. Put the pan in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Grind coconut flakes in a spice grinder. Remove pan from refrigerator, open the spring-form carefully and sprinkle with coconut flakes. Serve in small slices. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment