Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Tomato Towers with Lemon-Rosemary Rutabaga "Rice" and Hemp Cream

First day of school and I have no notice of when the bus is supposed to come. Last year it was 6:30 am, so I figured 6:20 am was a safe bet. I go outside on the front porch in my pajamas  with my son and wait. And wait. And wait, until my son tells me he is tired of sitting around like a rotten pineapple (no, I don't know where he comes up with this stuff). By 7:00 am I give up, and go inside to shower so I can take my son to school, which means I have all of ten minutes to prepare a raw vegan lunch for my husband and I.

Luckily we have some beautiful ripe tomatoes picked from our garden yesterday which are perfect, so the rest pretty much just got thrown in a food processor and was done!

Oh, and in case you were wondering his bus is scheduled to come at 7:21 am... which means we get to sleep in!!! Woo hoo!

***Note: If you stack your tomato towers taller than 3 slices high, you run the risk of having your husband (significant other, family member, dinner guest) tell you, "You've lost your mind."


2 large high-quality tomatoes
1/2 rutabaga
1 lemon, juiced
small handful of rosemary
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1/2 cup hemp seeds
1/2 cup hemp milk
1 teaspoon white truffle oil
Celtic sea salt to taste

In a food processor pulse the rutabaga, lemon juice, rosemary, olive oil, nutritional yeast, and salt to make the "rice". Slice the tomatoes and place a generous spoonful of the "rice" between each layer. Clean food processor and blend the hemp seeds, hemp milk, truffle oil, rosemary, and salt. Dollop on top of the towers. A garnish would also have been nice, but hey, I had ten minutes people!

No comments:

Post a Comment