Thursday, January 8, 2015

Humble Pie and Raw Vegan Mini Caramel Apple Pies

Asking for money is uncomfortable. I am not a fan of it generally, but I am a fan of growth. I have been taking a big look at where I am in my life, and where I want to be. This of course leads to the question of how to get there. I have some big aspirations for this blog, for my recipes, and for the future of my family. Some of these I am not ready to talk about yet, but a few which I will are my plans to make a cook book (already in the works), and the addition of my husband into some posts. John has a profound knowledge of herbalism, detoxification, and nutrition. Without him I would never be where I am today, and I can’t wait to share him with the worth!
Some of our aspirations could use a little help, and that is why you will notice to the right side of this page I have added a donate button. If you feel so inclined, and have appreciated anything I have shared with you, a dollar or two would help us out! So, there is the humble pie… now here is the REAL pie!

Crust

1 ½ cups raisins
1 ½ cups macadamia nuts
1 date, pitted
2 teaspoons cacao butter (or coconut butter)
½ teaspoon nutmeg
Dash of powdered ginger
Dash of pink Himalayan salt

Filling

1 apple (I used Fuji)
6 dates, pitted
1/3 cup tahini
¼ cup hemp milk (or almond milk)
1 tablespoon liquid sweetener (coconut nectar, honey, agave, or maple syrup)
Cinnamon for coating

In a food processor combine all crust ingredients. Blend into an even, dough-like texture. You may need to stop, scrape the sides of the container, and resume blending a few times. Once dough is ready, scoop into two mini spring form pans, or 1 larger spring form pan. Using your hands shape the dough into a crust. Set aside. Dice your apple into small chunks and set aside. In a food processor, combine the dates, tahini, hemp milk, and sweetener until you get a caramel like substance. Depending on the dryness of your dates you may need to add a bit more milk. In a small bowl, toss the apple with the caramel sauce. Pour this filling into your crusts and place in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. Take out and remove from spring form pan. (It may help to carefully trace the edge of the spring form pan with a knife before opening, if the crust is too tacky.) Plate and coat with cinnamon to your liking.

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good! I've never seen a gluten-free crust quite like this - I'll definitely have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete