Wednesday, January 21, 2015

"Cheesy" Broccoli Stuffed Avocados

One of my biggest problems with the raw vegan community and people seeking a healthier lifestyle is that not everyone is actually healthy. There is a trend of no-fat dieting that goes on that has me worried. Well-renowned bloggers and health enthusiasts talk about achieving the illusive "thigh gap" and warn against "avocado abuse". While I see the importance of avoiding cooking with heavily processed oils like canola, I see nothing wrong with moderate consumption of healthy fats like raw coconut oil, nuts, and avocados. In fact, consumption of these healthy fats improves brain function. Also fats help absorb essential vitamins such as A, D, E, and K. Having no fats in your diet leads to dry skin, which is bad if you are acne prone like I am.

It is a fine line and a constant struggle to try and improve your health while still maintaining a positive body image. I have admitted before that I have lost weight since I have made these changes in my diet. I once wore a size 13 jeans, but they no longer fit me. My mother just bought me a size 0 dress and it did fit me. This experience had me concerned. I did not want to be a size 0. I was worried about what this implied and I worried that if people knew I had something that was a size 0 they would assume I was unhealthy or anorexic. I became aware, however, that in all these cases I was judging myself based on other people's opinions. Were those pants an accurate size 13? Probably not. Is that dress an accurate size 0? Probably not. Does the size of my clothing or the number on a scale display whether or not I am healthy?

I eat three meals a day, and usually dessert. I avoid processed foods. I eat raw, and a lot of it. My health comes from listening to my body while acknowledging where the food I put in it comes from. I consume fats happily, especially in winter, and feel that these are a beneficial aspect to a health conscious diet. I am not a size 0 or a size 13, whatever a stitched-in label says. I can't properly instruct you on how to get a "thigh gap", and would much rather be able to instruct you on how to get a receptive mind. I don't want everyone to become identical preconceived notions of beauty. I want us all to celebrate and cherish the beauty of the earth and respect that beauty as it becomes part of ourselves.

And without further adieu, an avocado recipe.

 

2 avocados
6 stalks of broccolini or ¼ a head of broccoli
1/2 cup cashews, soaked 8 hours
3 tablespoons almond milk
½ lemon, juiced
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
½ teaspoon turmeric
Dash black pepper
2 additional tablespoons almond milk
Pink Himalayan salt to taste

In a food processor, combine the cashews, almond milk, and salt. Blend into a thick sour cream texture. Remove half of mixture and set aside in a small bowl. Add nutritional yeast, turmeric, black pepper, and more salt to the half remaining in the food processor and blend to a nacho cheese sauce consistency. Pour the cheese mixture into a new bowl. Chop your broccolini (or broccoli) and mix into your cheese mixture bowl. Let this marinate about 15 minutes so that the broccolini (or broccoli) becomes tender. Slice the avocados in half and carefully remove the pits. Pour in the cheesy broccoli mixture and top with a dollop of your sour cream mixture. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment