Friday, February 13, 2015

Raw Cream of Artichoke Soup

At the age of seven if you asked me what my favorite food was I would cheerfully reply, "ARTICHOKES!" My family usually had them steamed with a side of butter. I have a nostalgic joy remembering scraping each leaf with my teeth. It wasn't until a bit later on that I began to enjoy them marinated on pizza, in salads, or in pasta dishes. Then I started eating raw foods, and sadly they aren't found in many raw recipes.

But did I give up on this spiky vegetable friend? No! I forged onward! I have experimented with pickling artichokes and making them into artichoke squares (shhh.... saving that one for the cookbook), but the soup recipe I made today is a fast easy way to get your artichoke fix and stay raw! Artichokes are a great source of fiber, high in antioxidants, and contain a good amount of vitamin C! So eat 'em up!


2 artichokes (see preparation below)
1 lemon, juiced
2 stalks of celery
1/4 of a red onion
1/4 cup sprouted pumpkin seeds
1/2 an avocado
1/2 cup yellow squash
2 cups almond or hemp milk
2 tablespoons coconut aminos
1 teaspoon truffle oil
1/2 teaspoon of fennel powder
small handful of dill
 pink Himalayan salt to taste

Firstly, prepare your artichoke. This is the most difficult part, as you only want the hearts. Shorten the stem, then cut the artichokes in half lengthwise. Cut off all leaves above the choke-line. Cut out the choke. Trim the excess hard leaves from the hearts. Toss the artichoke hearts in the blender, along with all remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth. Serve at room temperature and garnish with extra dill.

No comments:

Post a Comment