Saturday, July 18, 2015

Where Have I Been?

I haven't written a blog in a few weeks now, but I promise you I have a good excuse! I quit my job, left Maryland, and started a job in Kailua Kona, Hawaii out here on the Big Island! It has been a bit of a risk, and definitely a struggle, but I feel like eventually it will be worth it.

I left my husband and son back in Maryland so that they could sell almost all of our possessions (it is funny how little objects actually matter) and our house. For the past two weeks I have been living out of a small ohana house, which is basically a converted 1 car garage that has a very tiny kitchen, shower, and toilet.

Although I am in paradise, it hasn't quite felt like it yet. I have missed my husband and son terribly. I have had the stress of learning a new job. I have been living out of a suitcase and having very little luck finding  place to rent. So with all that stress mounting, raw foods have gone out the window. And now I have had to suffer the consequences of diarrhea and vomiting.

I am not saying all cooked food would hit me this way, and possible it was even the hotel ferments I have been toting around in a new climate that actually too their toll, but either way I think I need to get back on the straight and narrow.

Luckily Hawaii is the land of year round farmers' markets and fruit. I look forward to writing more of my journey on here, and am sure I will have a ton of new ingredients to share. Once I get settled (cross your fingers I am not living in a hotel forever) I will write my first Big Island recipe! Mahalo and aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment