Friday, March 13, 2015

Raw Szechuan Broccoli in Sunflower Seed Sauce with Coconut "Rice"

For about a week now I have been healing from some sort of bug my son shared with me (yes, healthy people can get germs too). I have been sneezing, coughing, and having flashes of dizziness. On top of that mother nature blessed me with a monthly gift. Getting through work has been a drag. I was pretty close to throwing in the raw towel for a night (which I am not even fully opposed to) and eating up the vegan pizza I made my son. It wasn't gluten-free, or soy-free, but it wasn't that bad either (made with Chao cheese, so at least the soy was fermented, homemade sauce, and sprouted wheatberry crust).

I know, you are reading this saying, "Just eat the dang pizza." But I stopped and listened to my body instead of my emotions. I was craving protein, calcium, and good fats. My sinuses wanted some spice to clear them out. So I made this little creation. The seeds gave me my protein and fats, the broccoli gave me my calcium, and there was plenty of spice for my throat!

As I carried it to the table my husband commented, "We're having cooked tonight?" It would have been surprising since the last time we had a full cooked meal was Christmas. I recommend this meal for cravings... to keep you from giving up and getting the greasy, battered Chinese carry-out from down the street. You'll be just as happy, and in the long run more so.


Coconut "Rice"

1 large or 2 small parsnips
3/4 cup hemp seeds
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1 teaspoon coconut oil
pink Himalayan salt

Put all rice ingredients in a food processor and pulse into grain-like texture.

Szechuan Broccoli in Sunflower Seed Butter

1 head of broccoli
1 yellow mini bell pepper
1/4 of an onion
1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons sunflower seed butter
2 tablespoons coconut aminos
1 tablespoon coconut vinegar
1 teaspoon hemp oil
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
dash of star anise
dash of fennel powder
dash of cinnamon
dash of cloves
pink Himalayan salt to taste

Chop broccoli, bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes and place in large bowl. Put remaining ingredients  in a small food processor or blender, and mix until smooth. Pour mixture over vegetables and allow to marinate for 15 to 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Plate with rice and garnish with parsley or orange wedge, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment