Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Virgin Bloody Mary Juice

In my twenties I used to spend a good amount of my Sunday mornings hunched over breakfast burritos nursing hangovers with my girlfriends. One of the key staples to these brunches was the Bloody Mary. For some reason nothing else seemed to perk me up as much as this spicy, savory drink. Until the alcohol would bring me back down again.

Instead of riding a rollercoaster of drunkenness, matched with greasy carb feasting, I decided to make a healthy, fresh version of the classic drink... sans alcohol. This recipe will wake you up in the morning better than coffee, only packing you full of nutrients and hydration instead of caffeine. The perfect brunch drink, your friends won't even miss the alcohol.

Part of the fun of Bloody Marys is getting creative with the garnishes, so feel free to pair this with some celery sticks, raw olives, lemon or lime wedges.


2 medium tomatoes
5 large carrots
1 mini cucumber
2 large collard leaves
2-inch cube of ginger
1 small lime
1/2 cup sauerkraut juice (optional)
dash of cayenne pepper (optional)

Run the tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, collard leaves, ginger and lime through a juicer. Strain well and pour into ball jar. Add sauerkraut juice and cayenne pepper. Screw on lid of ball jar and shake well. Garnish as desired and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment